Education, PhD - Concentration in Kinesiology
The PhD in Education - Kinesiology concentration prepares graduates for careers in research and teaching at universities as well as for careers in industry.
Program StructureThe program requires a minimum of 85 credits of study beyond the baccalaureate degree or a minimum of 55 credits beyond the master's degree. However, an individual's program typically requires 10 more credits depending on the person's goals, program requirements, and previous preparation. Students have five years to complete all course work and the portfolio reviews. Five additional years are allowed to complete the dissertation. Most students complete the entire program in five or six years.
General Culture (3 credits)
- EFHP 860: Critical Perspectives in Exercise, Fitness, and Health Promotion (3 credits) (Course should be taken 1st semester)
Research Methods (15 credits)
- Choose two from below:
- EDRS 826: Qualitative Case Study Methods (3 credits)
- EDRS 828: Item Response Theory (3 credits)
- EDRS 830: Hierarchical Linear Modeling (3 credits)
- EDRS 831: Structural Equation Modeling (3 credits)
- EDRS 833: Participatory Action Research (3 credits)
- EDRS 836: Narrative Inquiry (3 credits)
- EDRS 850: Grounded Theory (3 credits)
- EDRS 897: Special Topics in Research Methods (3 credits)
- EFHP 810: Neuromuscular Responses to Exercise (3 credits)
- EFHP 811: Motor Learning and Control (3 credits)
- EFHP 813: Musculoskeletal Biomechanics in Human Movement (3 credits)
- EFHP 815: Measurement Techniques and Instrumentation (3 credits)
- EFHP 820: Careers in the Academy Seminar (3 credits)
- EFHP 825: Data Analytics in Exercise, Fitness, and Health Promotion (3 credits)
- EFHP 840: Doctoral Seminar in Exercise, Fitness, and Health Promotion (3 credits)
- EFHP 880: Grant Writing (3 credits)
- KINE 890: Research Experience I (6 credits)
- KINE 891: Research Experience II (3 credits)
- KINE 897: Independent Study (3 credits)
- KINE 998: Doctoral Dissertation Proposal (1 - 6 credits) (*)
- KINE 999: Doctoral Dissertation Research (1 - 12 credits) (**)
Kinesilogy Core (24 credits)
Experiential Learning (12 credits)
Dissertation (12 credits)
* Students must register for 3 credits the first semester enrolled KINE 998 Doctoral Dissertation Proposal. Students preparing their proposal must register for 1 credit each semester thereafter until the proposal has been successfully defended.
**Students must register for 3 or 6 credits the first semester enrolled in KINE 999 Doctoral Dissertation Research and must register for at least 1 credit thereafter until all work has been completed including the semester in which the degree is conferred.